Dr. J. and Dr. Anne Hiskes discuss the utility of the idea of “human dignity.” Dr. Hiskes is in the Philosophy Dept of the University of Connecticut and is Director of the Program on Science and Human Rights and Director of Research Ethics and Education for Stem Cell Research. The show concludes with “Cthulu is My Co-Pilot” by Smart Bomb Radio, and Tom Smith’s “Oh Yog-Sothoth” from the Podsafe Music Network. (MP3)
For further reading
- Ruth Macklin. Dignity is a Useless Concept, British Medical Journal, Dec 20, 2003.
- Nick Bostrom. “In Defense of Posthuman Dignity, Bioethics, 2005, 19(3).
- President’s Council on Bioethics. Human Dignity and Bioethics. 2008.
- Steven Pinker. “The Stupidity of Dignity: Conservative bioethics’ latest, most dangerous ploy,” The New Republic Published: Wednesday, May 28, 2008
- Michael Anissimov. “Dr. Pinker Lays the Smackdown on Leon Kass,” Accelerating Future, May 14, 2008